Wednesday, July 13, 2011

BRCA2

There are 2 gene mutations that they can look for to see if one carries the "breast cancer gene" brca1 and brca2. Being that I was under 45 at age of onset, it was suggested that I be tested. This was done months ago, before I started chemo, and I got the results 4 days later.

There are 3 possible outcomes to the test- negative, meaning one does not carry the gene; positive, meaning one carries a gene that increases the likelihood that one will get breast and/or other cancers; and maybe, meaning something is just not quite right. It was described to me like spell check, say the gene is represented by the word city, if one is negative for the gene, it would show up correctly, city- no breast cancer gene. If one is positive for the gene, meaning they are at a higher risk for cancer, the gene shows up like xzbh, completely unrecognizable. A maybe shows up like, sidy, you can figure out what it is supposed to be, but its not quite right.

In my case, I tested maybe, and statistically most people with my specific mutation do not get cancer, and in fact have a lower rate of cancer (based on stats from the lab that does all the testing in North America) but, since I have cancer, I am being treated as a positive gene.

What this means, like I have mentioned, at the end of treatment, I will have my right breast removed along with my ovaries and possibly uterus and cervix. It also means my siblings and children are at risk.

My sister was the first to be tested and tested negative. She does NOT have a cancer gene! So now my brother will be tested and my mom has also requested the test. At 18 my daughters can be tested, and hopefully by then there will be a vaccine or some type of medicine should they also have the gene. But being a maybe is defiantly better then being positive for the gene.


2 comments:

torrie said...

Yaaaaaay!!! (for your sister!)

Mama Salama said...

Thank God Linda is a negative!