Thursday, September 15, 2011

Santa Barbara Here We Come!


So tomorrow we leave for the Avon Walk in Santa Barbara, although we are not walkers, we are part of the crew that helps make it all possible, or so they tell us. All in all, it is a great experience, I cannot believe that last year I was listening to the stories of amazing women who never expected to be diagnosed, and they were there now, as survivors. I never, ever imagined that I would be back a year later, one breast lighter, bald, 16 rounds of chemo in me, preparing for radiation, but like them now, a survivor! Really, you NEVER know what life is going to throw at you, what a year will bring, but that is why events like this are so important. I was reminded by a doctor this week that if I would have been diagnosed with my cancer 5 years ago, I would not be here today because there was no medicine to slow it down. I am literally alive right now because of a medicine that was invented and approved within the past 5 years, Herceptin. More research still needs to be done because I need at least another 40 years. To donate to the Avon Walk you can click here, or women can sign up through Army of Women, an organization constantly looking for women to participate new research studies, (both with a history of breast cancer and without).

Thank you, and I can't wait to share pictures of the event with you all!

No comments: